First Time Homebuyer Workshops
We offer First Time Homebuyer workshops every month at various locations in Hampshire county. Each workshop series meets 4 times, once per week, from 6 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Classes are always held on weekday evenings. The workshops are open to anyone, regardless of where you live or work, or whether or not you are a First Time Homebuyer.
Our workshops are certified by the Citizens Housing and Planning Association (CHAPA), a statewide non-profit organization that works towards affordable housing and community development. Because our workshops are CHAPA-certified, income-eligible participants may apply for special First Time Homebuyer loans through participating lenders. To receive a certificate, participants must fully attend all four workshops in the series. If you miss one, there are opportunities to make it up in another session.
We also offer an online course for people who can’t make it to our in-person workshops.
The counseling sessions focus primarily on income, debt, credit, and how best to help you achieve sustainable homeownership. We examine a variety of homeownership options including single family homes, condominiums, multi-family homes, and purchase and rehab loans. We’ll discuss a menu of mortgage products with an emphasis on subsidized mortgages and down payment and closing cost assistance for income-eligible buyers.
What to bring to your appointment:
To make the most of our discussion, please bring as much of the following as possible:
- One month of pay stubs
- Bank statements
- Copy of your credit report
- Most recent year’s tax return
- Income from child support
- Income from Social security
- Income from part-time employment
- Information about any other income source
- A recent bill for each credit card, store card or other household debt
- Original loan documents for personal loans, car loans, and student loans (If you don’t have your original loan docs, check your account on-line for interest rates and student loan status.)